Still rambling

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Dorset in March

I inspected up North yesterday.... ended up in Dorset for my last two inspections ...
( Dorset is just under 2 hours north of Lindsay and about 45 minutes East of Gravenhurst) ..... very pretty cottage country..... and a little isolated....










































Dorset has an incredible ( World famous maybe ) general store... everything from groceries to canoes, wood stoves, gift items, clothing, work boots.... oh and butter tarts....!!




















I went in, not to buy anything per se... but just cause it's such a cool store.....
but in the end, I bought bananas.... hey... they were 25c for two bundles.... a bargain is a bargain!!




After my last inspection, I headed back East on #117, over to 35, and then south... I passed some guy sitting on the side of the road... half up the hill, just sitting there watching cars going by...


I laughed .. and thought.... "obviously he doesn't have cable!!! "


Within about 5 minutes, it started to rain... pretty heavy at times..... Gas stations are not all that common up there, and the car was on FUMES.... and being typically male, i thought.. naaaaaa, I can make it back at LEAST to Carnarvon ... so I proudly started heading south on 35... 3 or 4 klicks South, and my car literally starts to SPUTTER.... oh crap.....

so I turn around, ( not THAT male huh ? ) ... the only ONLY gas station I had seen in the area was a shell station up highway 117 a ways.... so back I went..... and couldn't find the place... HOW CAN YOU LOSE A GAS STATION??


so I did something ELSE totally non-male... I stopped and asked for directions.... jeepers... And the only guy I could find anywhere........
was Mr-I-Don't-Have-Cable-So-I-Watch-Traffic.....

By now though, he wasn't watching traffic... he was pulling up trees on the side of the highway... with his bare hands...
pretty sneaky huh? sits there like a by-stander ... or rather like a by-sitter, until the traffic is gone, and then proceeds to steal shrubbery from the side of a highway!


Anyway, I got directions...I wasn't even on the right road... jeepers... so back INTO town, down the side street, and there, sure enough was the Shell station that I'd seen... $1.079 per litre... JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPERS..... so I decided to only put $20 in... and then drive to Carnarvon where it is $1.02 .....



Halfway from Dorset to Carnarvon, this red pickup truck pulled out in front of me....and the rain was starting to freeze on the windshield..ugh.... and this dork... jeepers.... pulls out in a RUSH to get onto the highway, and then slows down....

He putts along at 65 or 70 kms.... I watched for a while.... and noticed that it was a couple... and there was some smoochy-woochy going on... every few seconds, they would kiss.... jeeeeeeeepers....



So after I could take 60 kms an hour NO LONGER, and after I'd had all the romance I could stomache, I decided I'd better pass Mr and Mrs Chevromeo......I got to a straight patch of highway, and punched it.... and he scoots up to 110 kms per hour.. I couldn't even catch UP to him to go by.... GRRRR

we went around the next corner, and whooosh.. back down to 70 kms again... time for some more kissing, dontcha know... JEEEEEEEEEEEPERS....

Middle of the next kiss, I lost it... and blew by him like he was standing still.....

I felt like blowing him a kiss but thought because I have Farmers Mutual signs on the side of my car, that maybe they wouldn't actually like that kind of publicity!


SO I pull into Carnarvon..... but thought better of stopping: "I need to put some miles between me and the little red kissing truck;"
besides, gas was $1.05....... so I kept going.... went on to Minden....

I pulled into the Minden Pioneer Gas Station.... and start to fill my car...and GUESS WHO PUTTS IN?? mr and mrs smoochy..... in the lane RIGHT next to me... and he's using the back side of the very same pump as me....

I pulled my hat down, and watched my feet, not daring to make eye contact, afraid that he might say something.....

When he went inside to pay, I was SOO tempted to try to get a glimpse of who his passenger was....I mean, it must be SOME kind of beautiful, if you can't wait til you get home to do all that kissing...

but I was too afraid.....

afraid that it'd be his sister,

or worse... that it might be a man! lol

The rest of the trip home was uneventful.... except for the ice buildup on the car..... today, I'm inside doing paperwork all day..... feels nice to reach some semblance of "caught up!"


3 Comments:

At March 22, 2007 5:23 p.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

What can I say...you lead a full, rich life! You and your amigos could probably write a book with all that you've seen!

As for who the passenger was, that far up north, you never know...it may have been his mother!

On a more serious note...you're kids might enjoy climbing the tower at Dorset...glad to see that it's still there.

In my younger days, we used to drive up there as a family, on a Sunday, have a picnic lunch (food purchased in aforementioned store) and then climb the tower. I'm not sure how high it actually is, but it seemed to go on forever, when I was a kid.

 
At March 24, 2007 8:44 a.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

Sigh...you lead such an interesting life,Paul. Here I was going to blog about how great it was to hang clothes on the clothesline...sigh.

 
At March 31, 2007 9:51 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flew to Florida today. So sorry about the ice on your car!!!!! blaaaaaaha... NOT!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home