Still rambling

Friday, June 26, 2009

Remembering Uncle Doug

My Uncle Doug died today.....he was 82.

it is a sad day for our family......

Uncle Doug was my mom's oldest brother.

I have 3 uncles....
My dad is an only child so all my uncles are on mom's side.....

I was close with all three uncles but my Uncle Doug and I had a special bond....

I'm not sure if it was his appreciation for the Montreal Expos.... or his prowess at Ping Pong.... or just the fact that he made me laugh...
All I do know is that there is a sadness in my heart and in the heart of my family tonight....

I have many many fond memories of visiting at Uncle Doug's house in Huntingdon and spending time at their cottage...


We lived about 3 hours from Uncle Doug, growing up, and when we moved to Ontario, we were still about 3 hours.....

I recall many times when they would come to visit for a weekend.....either in Randboro or in Belleville.....

Nearly every time they would visit, we would usually end up shopping somewhere.... well the ladies would be shopping.....Uncle Doug would sit on a bench in the mall and do a cross word!!!

Here's a blog post from last May when they came to visit....

and this is a link to the facebook album with more pictures



Uncle Doug and mom have always had a very special bond.....
There is a special bond with an older brother and his little sister....

I know....

In the last while, Uncle Doug would call often to check up on Mom...
When mom got sick last year, Uncle Doug started calling nearly every day, to keep in touch with mom.... it was sweet to see ....

For all of his tough outer shell, Uncle Doug was a great big softie.....

a sentimental tender side that I have loved and will miss!

For all of the laughs and shopping trips and wonderful memories, Uncle Doug.... we thank you...

You are loved.... and will be sorely missed.....



















1 Comments:

At June 29, 2009 6:49 p.m. , Blogger Terry said...

hello paul
just surfing in to say hi to you and i read about your uncle
by the looks of his sweet face, and twinkling eyes i know that you are really already missing him and i really feel bad for you and your mom.
please accept my condolences
aren't you really happy that you never neglected him while he was living but kept in constant touch?
all the more that you will miss him....love terry

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home