Still rambling

Friday, August 08, 2008

Bee in my Bonnet

OK.... so this is a RANT! but it's my blog and I can rant if I want to! so here goes:



one of my favourite quotations is this:

"The True measure of a man ( or a woman ) is how you are made to feel in their presence...."

I have come to the point in my life that I evaluate people ( consciously or self consciously ) by how they make me feel.....


The older I get, the more annoyed I get by self absorbed people.....

don't get me wrong, sometimes I'm guilty of that too..... when my life gets snaky busy, and my pile of paper gets really high, I shut down... block the world out, and get down to business and ignore almost everybody.... but i honestly do try to not be so absorbed in my life, that my two shoulders and two ears are not valuable to my friends.....

in the last year or so... I've "moved on" from some friendships that were very .. hmmm.. what's a good word.... lop sided...

people who needed me to be there on short notice, when THEY were hurting....

But when I was hurting, they usually made themselves scarce....

In the end, i did the math.... I know... that sounds SO harsh and almost shallow....

but that is what I did.....

I asked myself these questions:

How much time was involved in the friendship? and how much do I get out of it?....and how does this person make me feel when I am around them???

in the end, the math ( as shallow as that sounds ) was ominously lopsided....

and I quietly walked away....

I stopped emailing....

the phone calls slowed and eventually stopped ....

and the last few text messages I sent, I didn't even get a reply..... so I guessed that the "walk away" was mutual.



know what?? after several months of silence, to be really harsh, I didn't miss the friendship.



but inside, I felt kind of unfriendly....and I didn't want to someday be an old man, and bump into that person and it be awkward.... I don't want to go to my grave ignoring anyone....

so I sent an update email... just to say hey...

and I updated them on my life....mentioned that I'd had a bout with cellulitis which turned into a blood clot, mentioned that I'd missed a whack of work because of it...... and that I'd missed MORE time from work because of a back injury.....

and I told them about my mom's health ... which as most of you know, was really really bad earlier this spring.....and remains a concern.

in general, the email "report" on my life wasn't very good.

But be that as it may, it is what it is.... and I clicked send...

and I waited....

in all honesty, after not getting any response from my final text messages way back when, , I wasn't sure if I'd get a response at all.....



today though, I got one....

a response that in short said this...

"it would be nice to talk to you as it has been months and we haven't really had that kind of friendship in the past. Perhaps we can have coffee if you are around and have a moment for me. "

and they gave me their new work # ....
************

when I first read it, I knotted up.... probably because I started to get the guilt feeling again.... for having been a snot for the last few months.....

But after I pondered it for a bit, I didn't feel quite as guilty any more.....

the long and the short of it is this : After several months of silence, with no communication at all..... my first communication with them is about some serious health issues, for me, and for my mom.....and yet all they seem to be worried about is how different our friendship is.... no inquiry as to how's your mom.. how's your leg.. how's work.. nothing....

all I got back, from them, in the end, was a guilt trip for not being a good friend......



I keep going back to the quotation :

" the true measure of a man is how you are made to feel in his presence"



and I say to myself...... if that person wasn't so self absorbed, our friendship WOULD be different....... we WOULD communicate.... I'd WANT to be in touch.... I'd WANT to be calling them, texting them....

sadly though as shallow as it sounds, sometimes I like to get something in return..... to know that somebody cares about more than just THEIR life.... and is genuinely interested in me.... and my health or my moms' or my kids'.....

sigh......

I DID tell you it was a rant.... serves you right if you get to this point in the blog and wonder if there's a POINT to this...

there isn't..

thanks for reading though!!

3 Comments:

At August 09, 2008 7:27 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

There's different ways to look at this:

One the one hand, I've been feeling the same way lately, about some of my "frienships"...I even decided AGAINST adding some people to my friends list on f/b because, I KNOW that if I do, I will always be the one doing the chasing - and I don't want that!!! Like you, I'm sick & tired of being the person who always makes the first contact!!!

I feel very sorry for the person in your posting...I can't imagine being that self-absorbed.

The reality is, they call on you when THEY have a need. Other than that, it seems like they barely remember who you are!!!

I'm also sick of people using their busy, fast paced life as an excuse for not keeping in touch. Maybe they ARE busier that I am, but in reality, how long does it take to type an email???

On the other hand, I have a very dear TRUE friend, who is busy getting ready to move to a new home that is located 7 hours away from me. She still took the time to email me and a) ask how I was feeling and b) invite me to a "goodbye" lunch.

I suspect that we will remain friends, just not in the traditional sense. Email and telephone will have to do - the friendship will change, forever. This saddens me, because friends like this are HARD to find.

Paul, I'm sorry that I turned your perfectly justified rant into my rant...I probably should have done my own post!!! :)

 
At August 09, 2008 3:56 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we have all been there...I know I have....but you know what I am thankful for...is you!!! You are such a good friend to Randy and I that I can't imagine my life without our weekly texing, or a chat on the phone or a funny story from your blog. Although right now you feel discourage...take comfort in knowing you are loved and are considered a Great Friend to two people who think the world of you!!!!!

Love
June

 
At August 30, 2008 10:24 a.m. , Blogger Pebble Princess said...

I didn't read a rant, I read discernment and wisdom, my dear. Adult friendship is almost as risky as dating, sometimes. When you are a kid, your friends are chosen completely by proximity-- you run around with the neighborhood kids when in the neighborhood, school chums at school. As adults we have unlimited "proximity" and must make choices as to where to spend our time and energy. Sounds like you are doing good choosing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home