Still rambling

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Wednesday

Well Wednesday was a long day..... I left my folks at 8:00 am ( THAT's early for SOME of us Dawna .. shut up! ) ..... My first inspection was in Bath..... I normally have a shower in the morning.. yesterday I had bath... oh brother!! I've resorted to groaners!!!!

Bath is half way from Napanee to Kingston..... I saw this quaint little church there....
Across the lake is Amherst Island... apparently there are a bunch of farms over there.... I didn't see the ferry so I didn't cross.......
Driving east, I DID see the entry for the Millhaven Penn. accross the road .... I uh... didn't cross to THAT either!!




My second stop was in Cardinal .... The bridge to the USA there is quite scenic......



I tried to take some pictures of scenery along the way.... but I was a few minutes behind for my 11:00 am appt... so I didn't dare stop.....so I took pictures on the fly... aren't you glad I did.. jeepers!!













My last stop of the day was Ottawa .... I didn't get very many pictures , ok I didn't get ANY of the city itself .... other than where the Sens play, when I was on my way home.... since I'm a montreal fan, I didn't dare look at the arena straight on.... I figured it would be safe to look at it in the rear view mirror though!!!



I I had supper with my second cousin and his wife... Paul and Ruth Porter ......
I found out some interesting family history.... none that I dare share publicly, but that I will certainly remember!!!
Paul's gramma was aunt Lollie ( Olive Mackay Porter ) ... she was my grampa's sister ( Richard Mackay ) .... they were from South Ham...
That's just outside east pork ( oh paulllll!! )
Paul's middle name is the same as mine : Paul Allan .... cool eh?
Paul works for .. well I can't tell you which governement agency ( you know, freedom of information kind of thing ) .. but it rhymes with
Heaven View Canada .... I won't say I'm behind in my taxes.. but I am expecting to hear from Heavenview in short order!
and Paul.. when I said " keep in touch" .... that wasn't what I meant!!!!!
Ruth and I went to the same high school..... mind you, she was long finished before I ever darkened the doors of the place ( ok, not LONG finished, but done, never the less!!! ) .... we laughed a lot about life at Alexander Galt .... and Orange House, and Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen House, and Purple House..... brought back a lot of good memories....
We took a picture just before I left.... check out Ruth's feet... standing on her tip toes.... in attempt to be as tall as everybody else.... sheesh... vanity vanity vanity!!!!
it was a really fun visit...
If you are ever near Orleans, drop by....
Roast beef supper and GREAT ice cream!! Tell them Paul Allan sent you... she'll never know which of us to blame!!

The trip back to Peterborough was pretty uneventful.... had only really ONE bad " stuck behind a guy" situation..... It was a 15' panel van.... after a few miles, I finally got past him..... and a few miles farther.. stopped to take a picture and he PASSED ME AGAIN.. crap!! oh well... sunset was worth stopping for!!





























This one turned out kinda neat... I didn't even slow down for this one... ok, I slowed DOWN.. i didn't stop!!












3 Comments:

At April 19, 2007 2:00 p.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

We may have to call you "Corndog" Mackay...some of that was pretty bad even for you!!

Orange 304....oh the memories! Now the kids of our friends are going there...how old are we anyway??

We have family in Orleans...Hub's sister in fact...Fortune Drive..know where that is?

 
At April 19, 2007 6:11 p.m. , Blogger donna said...

Hey this brought back some "way back" memories...I always love crossing the bridge, but the ferry is such fun....great sunset too!!

 
At April 20, 2007 11:02 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

Glad you skipped visiting the penitentary. The ferry would have been fun on a much warmer day. We crossed on the Wolfe Island ferry one time in the summer. It was nice.

Nice little church. I'm sure there's quite a history, there.

The 11:00 a.m. appt. that you were late for - was that the one where you made a friend???

Beautiful sunset pics.

Have a great weekend!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home