Still rambling

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Crisis Friends

A thought hit me in church today.... It was one of those epiphany moments for me...

I have had, in the last few months, a couple of friends that are in and out of my life... I guess I'm their crisis friend. I won't hear much from them for a while, and then when things get bad, they come calling.... Or crawling... In need of a laugh, or in need of some sort of guidance ( hard to imagine they look to ME for that eh? )

At some points, in those relationships, I am quite flattered... I like being needed...

But at other times, I feel like they only want me around when things are bad for them, and they need me to help get them through the tough times....

It is those times that, sadly, I get a little annoyed...

I guess I feel like: if I'm worth having in their life as a friend, that they'd want me around for the good times, as well as the bad times....

But isn't that what I do with God? I live my life, gallivanting all over, having a wonderful time, enjoying my independence, but come running to Him when things go bad... When times are tough, or when I'm down, or when I'm broke, or when I'm frustrated, or overwhelmed, or when I'm lonely...

I come running.. "GOD ............HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" .....

Mike Warnke painted the picture this way.... It is like you are in SUCH need for God, that you hit your knees in the hall, and skid across the bedroom floor, and slide right up to the bed, screaming GODDDDD!!!!

As funny as that image is, it's true... Sadly.

Yet....Without fail, God is always there.... Waiting, gently..... Gracious, and loving, ....Tenderly waiting.... to love me, and to care for me, and to help me to put my life back together again.....

But then I get to thinking......I wonder if He ever feels used.....I wonder if He feels like I'm treating Him as my crisis friend....

That moment in church today made me realize how much I've taken God for granted....

something tweaked in me this morning..... I guess maybe I saw me, for who I really am.... And I didn't like it.

I'm committing to not being so independent in the good times.... I'm committing to not making God my crisis friend... But my everyday friend...

sigh......

3 Comments:

At February 04, 2007 5:04 p.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

I had one of these kind of moments this week too which led me to much the same conclusion.
I invited our son(and his wife) for supper and he didn't come cauase he "just didn't feel like it". I was hurt since I was missing him and just wanted to spend some time with him. Then I realized how many times I feel God drawing me to spend time in His word and pray and I don't....cause I just don't feel like it at the moment.
Joseph assured me that next time I asked he'd come. This annoyed me at the moment and made me think..."next time...HA!" (I'm a terrible mother!!) Since we'll soon be moving time together will be a little more difficult with the added distance. Then I realized that I have no assurance of a next time with God either. I have assurance of eternity in Heaven for sure but a next time here on earth? Who knows.
God has a way of putting these things in perspective doesn't He?

 
At February 04, 2007 7:56 p.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

Are you sure that I didn't write that post???

That's pretty much my life in a nutshell!!! In fact, that's why I was feeling kind of down a couple of weeks ago, when God inspired you to email me the beautiful song called "Thank You Says it Best"! It made me think of all the blessings in my life that the Lord has graciously given me.

I have quite a few people in my life who want me around "when they need me", but when the shoe is on the other foot and it's ME who is lonely or upset etc., it's like they're in the "witness protection program", because I sure can't find them.

When I can reach them, all I get is how they are so busy because they have work & family to care for...well, HELLO...what do they think I have??? Just because I don't have the traditional family, doesn't mean that I don't have responsibilities, too!!! The only difference being is that I will MAKE time for them...I'm too soft hearted (or soft in the head - not sure which).

Shortly thereafter, I had pretty much the same ephipany that you had (great minds really must think alike)...I'm as much of a "user" as my friends....only I'm much worse...I have all the time in the world for my earthly friends, but not the time that I should have for the One who saved my soul!...SHAME ON ME!

That's definitely an area in my life that I need to change - before it's too late.

 
At February 05, 2007 6:36 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

After last night's comment, this hymn came to my mind...oh, how we should take it to heart:

What a Friend We Have in Jesus
--------------------------------

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilage to carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer!

Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged,
Take it to the Lord in prayer:

Can we find a friend so faithful
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus Knows our every weakness,
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Saviour, still our refuge;
Take it to the Lord in prayer:

Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer;
In His arms He'll take and shield thee;
Thou wilt find a solace there.

by: Joseph Scriven

If you want to hear a sad story (his life), yet someone who remained so faithful, read his life story.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home