Still rambling

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Click

well... my friend Pam ( miss pamyla ) came to Ontario for a wedding yesterday.... because her time was so limited, and her trip rushed, her entire week was planned out.....thankfully, I made the "chosen few " list, and I got to see her a couple of times.... tonight she and I went to see the movie "Click" ....

This movie is a must see movie for parents..... it sure helped me put my life into perspective... since I rush around SO much, I end up fast forwarding my life away..... and in the end, what do I have to show for it? I came away from that movie eager to make my relationship with my kids even stronger.....I was gonna drive to Barry's Bay just to say I LOVE YOU to my kids.... but being a rational creature, I came home to my comfy bed!!!!

I have to tell you though, that movie sure made me think.... As I sat at my desk thinking about my life, my eyes wandered to the things in my desk drawer ( quite OBVIOUSLY I have a short attention span!! ) ... anyway, it brought back memories from my childhood....When I was a kid, my dad, an insurance broker, had his office in our house. When he wasn't around, I would sneak out to his office ( in Randboro and in Belleville ) and sit in his desk chair..... and look at the cool things in his desk drawers..... I remember he had this really cool tape measure, some really cool screw drivers ( the kind you use on your glasses ), he had old glasses, cool pens, broken pens, etc etc etc. I used to find such delight in just picking the things up and looking at them.... interestingly enough, my kids now do that with my desk.
Last fall one night when I was still singing with the Chapelaires, Anna was home alone, while Abby and I had gone to a concert in Rodney..... On the way home, I spent most of the trip talking on the cell phone with Anna ( she was a little spooked by being alone ) ... all the while we talked, she was sitting at my desk going through my desk drawer!! The only difference between me doing that as a kid, and HER .... was that when SHE was done, the desk drawers were organized!!! bless her pea picking heart!

so tonight, I was looking at my desk drawer..... here are some of the treasures that have found a final resting place in my desk drawers :

- A Westclock Pocket Ben pocket watch, that used to belong to Alden Learned.

- A cool cowboy tie that I got from my friend Dorothy ... ( I am neither cool OR a cowboy, so the tie stays IN THE DRAWER!! )

- a lapel Button ( I used to collect buttons ) ... that says : Improve your image : Be seen with me!

- Lock De-Icer ... handy for those cold July Nights in Brantford!!

- A contact lense for my right eye .... still in the package... expiry November 2003.... Spose it's too late to wear it???

- 8 rolls of pennies! jeepers..... Coffee Money!

- A shoe horn from Tana

- a brand new Parker Pen - A stainless steel jotter... still in the package... I LOVE parker pens.. I'm saving this one for a rainy day!

- a Garrison padlock... missing the keys, of course... but in mint condition.... can you say YARD SALE?

- a gorgeous smooth purple rock... from my childhood... I think I found it in New Brunswick somewhere when I was a kid... I LOVE this rock!

- 1800 business cards... ( NO I DID NOT COUNT THEM! )

- a house key... from hmmmm 4 houses ago!!!

- a very corroded TTC subway token... back when they used to cost a $1

- some really cool Mastercraft mini - plyers.....

- a tube of Calvin Clein skin moisturizer.... not doing my skin much good, in my drawer!

- an old cell phone cover... the one I gave up using when I got the Montreal Canadiens' cover

- two very cool old jacknives.... i don't know who I got those from...







and that is only in the top left drawer..... some other night, I'll show you what is in my OTHER desk drawers!

it's like a trip down memory lane.... no wonder my kids love doing this... no wonder I loved doing it in my dad's....

sigh.... life goes by too fast

7 Comments:

At July 03, 2006 7:39 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

You're so right...life DOES go by too fast...and the older you get, the faster it goes!

As for my desk at home, there's a lot of unused treasures there, too...including FOUR pen & pencil sets (still in the box), however, I STILL haven't managed to find the remote control!!! (Watched the clip to the movie...looks pretty funny!

 
At July 03, 2006 8:42 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should write them each a cute note and then tuck it into the drawers - see how long it takes for each to find theirs...
:)

I think I will take my hubby to see Click - thanks for the recommendation Paul :)

 
At July 03, 2006 10:40 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

You're a true inspiration, Paul!

All that talk about sorting through your desk and finding all sorts of treasures, inspired me to do the same....except, I cleaned out a closet!

If you want some REAL fun, try cleaning out a closet! You may be surprised at what you find...I know, I was! LOL!

 
At July 03, 2006 1:49 p.m. , Blogger Miss Pamyla said...

I have NEVER met ANYBODY who segues like you do.
You start with a philosophical commentary on how fast life is moving and making it count with your kids,.... and somehow the contents of your desk drawer seems to fit.
How DO you DO that??????

 
At July 03, 2006 2:21 p.m. , Blogger Paul said...

it IS a very special gift....

sometimes, to help COMBAT this gift, I take Ritalin... other times, I just enjoy the gift!!

 
At July 03, 2006 5:57 p.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

There's never a dull moment when Paul's around - THAT'S FOR SURE!!! LOL!!!

 
At July 04, 2006 11:43 a.m. , Blogger Carol said...

You should all know that not all of us in the Mackay family got Paul's GIFT!!!! I try not to keep drawers full of STUFF to clog up my space - I also have very few memories of my childhood?! Maybe that's why!!! I do have a file every year in my filing system for keepsakes. All filed away neatly in a filing cabinet, labeled, etc! I go through it once a year when I'm setting up my new filing system - boy, I sound anal! We're very different - but we get along well! *smile!*

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home