Still rambling

Saturday, June 24, 2006

God coulda made a better berry



But He Never DID!






That was what Grampie Mackay used to say... about strawberries....

Today, Anna and I went strawberry picking.... we went to two farms... first farm the picking was ok, but the berries were really small.... so we went up the road about a km to a second farm and whammo... huge berries, plentiful and quite ripe..... came home with hands as red as OJ Simpson's gloves....

Tomorrow, Anna and Abby and I will be making some freezer jam.... I've not had a freezer for about 3 years.... until today. I bought a used one out of the paper and so now I can stock pile things and not worry about them going bad in the fridge.... and now, I can make freezer jam and have a place to PUT it...

I'm quite excited .... not sure about the kids, but I am!!

2 Comments:

At June 24, 2006 8:28 p.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

In case you have strawberries left over after the jam is made, here's an alternate use for them:

Strawberry Pancakes

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in each of two 9 inch pie plates in oven. Beat eggs with milk, flour, sugar and vanilla.

Remove pie plates and pour half of batter into each plate; scatter with berries. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

Makes 4 servings.

I have not made this particular recipe, but I have had strawberry pancakes and they are yummy...try it...you might like it!

 
At June 24, 2006 9:58 p.m. , Blogger Carol said...

Just saw the coolest freezer jam containers at the grocery store last week. Instead of the glass ones, they are plastic and small and EXCESSIVELY cool! Of course, like you, I'm a sucker for gimmicks! haha! Have fun and save me some!

Love,
C.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home