Still rambling

Friday, August 01, 2008

Reliving my childhood....

Have you ever had something that you loaned out.... and then never got back???

I have a long list of things like that..... ( some of the things on the list were things I didn't KNOW I'd loaned out, until I found them MISSING .... like the Vice Grips taken from my dorm room in college...!! let it GO paullllll!! )

I had a cassette tape I loaned out in high school.... of a quartet I'd heard.... and I never got that back... it was a terrible recording, live, that I'd made by holding an old black cassette tape recorder on my lap during a concert at Parkdale.....

the thing with live tapes like that is, that there are often mistakes, or sometimes, there are chords that a group will hit "live" that are different than on the albums they sell.... often, the live concerts I find better.... some of the harmonies are unbelievable.... proven only by cassettes like this... that are now lost forever....


When I was a kid... I treasured those cassettes... played them over and over and over and over..... part of my musical training to harmonize, came from mimicking those voices on my home made cassettes......

I have often envisioned myself as an old man, lying in a bed in a home somewhere.... and the nurse or housekeeping staff, for that matter, coming into my room every half hour to flip the tape onto side two .....

lofty retirement goals huh!!!

anyway... one of the things I lost as a kid..... when I loaned it out... was a book called "The Mercer Boys Cruise in the Lassie"

The Mercer boys are like the Hardy Boys.... I only ever had 2 of their books.... this particular book I read over and over and over...... two brothers have a boat ( called the Lassie ) and they take a summer holiday ( teens, boating together on a boat alone... give me a BREAK!! ) but it was exciting for me when I was TEN!! ) and they run into pirates on the open sea ... that's what I remember anyway!!

so... fast forward to 2008........

to make a short story long.... I found the book on EBay ..... bid on it, and won it.... for $3.99 USD.
talk about exciting!!!

When we got home from the cottage yesterday, the book was in the mail box....... the colour of the outside ( which was a rich red brown at one time ) is almost green from fade..... but I'm still excited...

sigh... I know what I WILL BE DOING this weekend!!!!

i know...... once a kid, always a kid...













4 Comments:

At August 01, 2008 11:48 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

It's fun to relive your youth - as long as you aren't regressing!

I know what you mean about loaning things that you didn't loan...I had a vhs recording of a really good show...I'm not sure how, but the vhs box grew legs and WALKED out of my house ('cause I know I didn't lend it)...

Fast forward 20 years...and it's coming out on dvd. I ordered it, but wonder if I'll enjoy it as much??? It doesn't get released until Dec., so I will have to wait and see. ):

I hope you enjoy your book as much as you did when you were 10, but don't be too disappointed if you don't...after all, sad though it may be - there's a lot of truth in that old adage "you can't go home again"!

 
At August 01, 2008 8:56 p.m. , Blogger Little Montreal Girl said...

oh one more thing. Did Abby get my email?

 
At August 01, 2008 9:16 p.m. , Blogger Paul said...

LMG....

Forgive you?? don't be silly! it cracked me up!!!

I was away for 3 days though, so I didn't have a chance to publish them until yesterday!!!

I haven't heard about an email yet... but I will check :)

 
At August 02, 2008 2:54 p.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

Hub has a system by which he never, ever loans something out without knowing who has it...it drives us all a little crazy esp those of us who live in his house but it works!

I have childhood books that I am very attached to so I understand how exciting this is....and I think you will enjoy it just as much now...it kinda takes you back to those days when life was simpler and in some ways happier.

What does LMG mean?? This is a new one for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home