Still rambling

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Memories from 29 years ago today

29 years ago today, we left Quebec and moved to Ontario......

we loaded up a big semi trailer, and drove out of Randboro for the last time..... I look back on that day often, but particularly at the beginning of December every year... I can remember it almost as if it was yesterday....

I remember stopping at the post office in Sherbrooke, for one last purchase.... I collected bottom right corner block stamps and on our way to Ontario, Dad let me stop and we picked up a couple for my collection.......

we had our dog Princess in the car with us.... I can't remember who drove which car.... I think I was with Princess in the car with Dad.....and mom and Carol and Bruce and the two cats were in the other car....

I remember getting to Belleville after dark.... I don't remember what we slept on... maybe the floor.... and Gary arrived with the truck sometime later than us, like midnight or something...
.... he parked it at that Gulf station down near black diamond road..... and drove it up to our house first thing Saturday morning ...

I remember how lonely that first Christmas was..... I'd cried myself to sleep for several weeks before we moved..... afraid about moving, and yet excited about the prospect of a life in a new province...... It was hard to leave friends behind...but it was the start of a whole new life... one that I know God has blessed, and as much as I missed my friends, God provided new friends for us...

people like Bev Foster, and his family, Bill and Ann Todd, the Mclellans.... friends like Garth Clarke, John Tedford, Chris Foster, Rob Rodgers..... and the Bowkers, who moved to Belleville one week to the day after we did......


I'm thankful for my heritage in Quebec, and I'm also thankful for the life Mom and Dad made for us in Ontario.....

sigh..... it's good to remember

1 Comments:

At December 03, 2006 3:20 p.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

Funny, I didn't remember at all that it was December that you moved. I do remember what a huge change it made when your family and the Bowker's left.It wasn't the same at church after that.You all left a big hole. I remember that our family too considered making this move but when our house just didn't sell I guess Mom and Dad felt that was the Lord's answer to their question.I was disappointed at the time since it seemed others were having an adventure that I wanted to have too. Since then tho I have moved more than enough times to satisfy my desire for adventure!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home