Still rambling

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Trip Down Memory Lane



my friend
Gayle, who grew up just up the road from our house in Quebec.... wrote an incredible post, about my grandparents store that was right next door to our house..... not only was it way neat to live next door to my grandparents... but they had a general store.... They used to sell Peanuts, peppermints and chocolate rosebuds in bulk... by the pound.....

I remember Grampie always going over by the big weigh scales ( where they weighed those things ) and grabbing the little silver scoop... he'd reach in and get one single chocolate rose bud and bring it to me, then he'd get one for himself.... and as we sat there eating it, he'd look at me and say : Know what THAT tastes like?
More!!
and then he'd go get another one....

sigh.....

The house just to the right, with the tent trailer out back, was our house.... if you look in the top right corner, you'll see a tiny little lane going through the meadow, down to the river where we used to go to swim.... and to get Blood Suckers ... ewwwwwwwwww..

See the gas pumps? back then, there was no such thing as unleaded...... the question was : do you want Yellow or Red gas ?? One being regular and the other being Premium Gas, I assume..... We moved from that house a month before I turned 15 ....

sigh....


Thank you Gayle for sharing those memories.... brought back a ton of memories to my mind...

sigh..

4 Comments:

At September 24, 2006 8:38 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing your memories with us, Paul.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

 
At September 24, 2006 2:18 p.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

Ahhh...that's the store I remember. I had forgotten there were gas pumps tho...guess gum was more important in those days! Isn't it great to know that while all we have are the memories for now someday...hopefully soon...we are going to be reunited with all the people who meant so much to us.Then it's eternity together.What a thought.

 
At September 24, 2006 2:25 p.m. , Blogger Paul said...

Gayle :

When Grammie died back in March of 2004, Geoff came to the funeral home ... he was telling me a couple of stories about the store... one of which is this : One day, Your mom stopped at the store for gas...Grampie was out filling your tank and your mom sent Geoff in to pay for the gas.... I think it was something like $4.13 or something funny like that...

And grammie, being typically her.... said : OH GOODNESS.... Surely RICHIE spilled a little bit ..... Just call it $4.00

after all those years, Geoff had never forgotten Grammie's tender heart....I don't think I realized how many lives they impacted... I had only realized how much they did for US mackay kids... when in fact, they really did touch a lot of people's lives.... thank you for remembering!!

 
At December 03, 2010 12:06 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny what we remember about that store - I remember Aunt Vivian's tiny tea cups. I loved them!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home