Still rambling

Friday, January 20, 2006

Healthy Eating


well.... my kids arrived for the weekend today.... on a mission. They've decided to eat according to " Canada's Food Guide To Healthy Eating " as outlined on Health Canada's web site

alas.... there is nooooooo food at my house that qualifies.... other than the 1/2 bag of frozen peas in the back of my freezer, that I've had since I moved in June of 2004 ..... I figure if I present that for breakfast tomorrow, by noon, they'll be back on real food....

In all seriousness, buying healthy is REALLY hard.... for starters, Anna and I spent two hours at two different grocery stores, trying to find out which chicken pot pies had the fewest calories.... finally we narrowed it down to two... and in a fit of frustration, I bought them both... TIME IS MONEY kid!

And it is EXPENSIVE ..... get this... I went to Food Basics, to get a tray of fruit for them to snack on... I mean.. you have to snack on something... IT IS FRIDAY NIGHT..... so the tray of fruit, which included 1/2 dozen baby blue berries, 4 strawberries, and then the rest was grapes, pineapple, canteloupe, and watermelon..... $18.99 ..... and there'd not be enough for 4 of us... jeeeeeepers.... I guess watermelon must be out of season.....nope.... too much money.

Instead, we went to Zehrs... ( the Loblaws of Western Ontario ..... Brantford has 3 of them...) and we bought all the ingredients ..... $5.99 for pineapple, $3.99 for Kiwi, $2.99 for canteloupe,$2.25 for apples, $3.35 for grapes, for a grand total of $18.57
Boy, was it brilliant of me to buy them individually so I could save 42 Cents!!

And don't forget all of the incredible excercise I got, cutting, peeling, cutting.......... and now..... my back hurts from standing so long ( either in line at the grocery store, or cutting canteloupe)

..... so I guess I'll have to go to the chiropractor.... add that $30 to the cost of the fruit.... and that $18.99 tray is starting to look like a bargain............!

I did realize in the process, though, how much work Mr Christie goes through, to make all those cookies, to frost them, ( in some cases.. he DOUBLE frosts them, ) and then packages them up in nice little rows, easy to grab.... and the re-sealable bag, to keep them fresh !!!

I think tomorrow, I am going to petition Health Canada to add Oreos to their list of allowable foods...!!!

3 Comments:

At January 20, 2006 11:48 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dude I don't think you need anymore oreos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Maybe you should take a few tips from your kids and eat healthy
JR.

 
At January 21, 2006 12:20 a.m. , Blogger Paul said...

shut up Junior!

 
At January 21, 2006 8:41 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oreos are on sale at Zellers for $1.97 per bag and they are ready to eat....just pour yourself a glass of milk and enjoy! (at least milk is on Canada's Food Guide!!!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home