Still rambling

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Welland Canal

Yesterday, I was inspecting in St catharines and Niagara on the Lake.... on my way from Niagara back to St Kits, I crossed a bridge/canal... thought I'd stop and take a couple of photos.. and found out I was at the very first lock of the Welland Canal .....















This is the ship I saw when I crossed the bridge.... wicked EH!


I talked to someone sitting nearby.. they told me they'd never seen a boat so big in the canal before.. check out the clearance...
The lock itself is 82' wide ( thanks to my handy dandy laser measurer ) .... nobody seemed to know where the ship was from but when I googled the ship name, found it came from HERE ( cyprus )












This is the clearance on the Left Side...










and this is the right side... incredible eh?



Check this thing out... looks like some sort of mini sub thing.. I have NO idea what it was.....













































This is the view to the East, that is Lake Ontario in the distance








This is the view to the west, after the ship was out of the canal.. you can see another ship exiting lock 2, heading East into Lake Ontario....

3 Comments:

At July 04, 2007 7:36 p.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

WOW! Talk about a tight squeeze!

Thank goodness whoever was steering that ship had good depth perception.

 
At July 05, 2007 9:28 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing it wasn't me taking that ship through...bye bye Welland Canal...

 
At July 05, 2007 9:30 p.m. , Blogger Paul said...

LOL so you do a lot of BOATING then Dawna! LOL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home