Still rambling

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Spring in Peterborough


One of the things I LOVE about spring is Lilacs.....







This is the view east from the top of Armour Hill ....












This is the world famous Peterborough Lift Lock..... Lock # 21, in the Trent Severn Waterway canal system.. ( Click here for Wikpedia's entry on this lock ) this thing is like a gigantic car lift in a garage.... it's unique for this day and age.. it was earth shattering when it opened in 1904.

Most locks rise 6 or 8 feet; this one lifts boats nearly 65 feet into the air... incredible!! I'm gonna get on an air mattress this summer and go UP the thing!!!





This is the Westclox Tower, just at the top of Armour Road.... Western Clock company began manufacturing clocks in Peterborough in 1919.... They became Westclox in 1922 and built this building that year.....
Production stopped, from what I've read, in the early 80's ....











Ok then.. enough of the History lesson for today....

Tomorrow, we are going to discuss Science and Math ( should be a short lesson!! )

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2007 1:16 p.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

My favorites are Lilacs, too. I guess that's why we have them growing in our back yard!

Nice posting, Paul. Hey, when you grow up, you can be a tour guide for various Ontario cities!!

It's a better deal than "would you like fries with that?"

 
At May 16, 2007 7:34 p.m. , Blogger Gayle said...

I love lilacs too...we don't have a bush in our yard anymore tho. I also love fiddleheads...we had them for supper tonight...another spring thing.

Hey! I've been to that lift lock! Please be sure to call a TV crew before you go up that on an air mattress ok? I want to be able to watch the news with my friends and tell them all that I know that nut!! It may be my only claim to fame.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home