Still rambling

Sunday, May 14, 2006

To My Mom

Words are never enough to convey love. They help, and to some extent, they work, but the effect is minimal. So it is dangerous to try using only words to tell you how much I love you...

but here goes!

Thank you for always being there.... How many times do I STILL come running, for a shoulder to cry on....

Thank you for being there in 2003 when I lost my job...and moved home.

Thank you for giving up your spot in the garage, for all my stuff!

Thank you for laying there late at night, still, worrying about me, and about my kids... and praying for us.

Thank you for loving Dad.

Thank you for inviting missionaries into our home when I was a kid.... even though it bugged me that they got MY room, thank you, for showing me how to be hospitable.

Thank you for making my lunch all those years...

Thank you for charging me a quarter every time my bed wasn't made.... cause now I make my bed. The thought of having to pay you NOW, with inflation, scares me!

Thank you for coming to all our band concerts.

Thank you for giving up your car so many evenings when we had to go to band practice.

Thank you for helping deliver all those cases of oranges and grapefruit.

Thank you for not cooking liver any more times than you DID!

Thank you for all the buttons you sewed on, and the patches you put on my pants. Thank you for making those rubber play pants when we were kids.... so we could play in the water at spring time. You were the envy of all of the kids in grade 3, cause you made me those pants, and I didn't have to change my pants after recess!

Thank you for making our home a place that I was always glad to invite my friends to... I still do that... Thank you for never minding, when on the way home from church, i would say.. OH by the way, I invited somebody over.... your gracious spirit puts most of the world to shame.

Thank you for bailing me out, so many ways, when I was hurting.... for the money you'd put in my account, for the times you flew out to see me at Prairie, for the times you drove me to camp in Quebec.

Thank you for the care packages, that I would get, that would make all my friends jealous...the cookies might have been in pieces, but they tasted JUST as good.

Thank you for taking me to Sunday School.... and for all the times I embarrassed you with my silly comments. Thank you for loving me in spite of me.... when I was an unloveable teenager, who wanted long hair...

thank you for all of the things you did to enable me to be me. I've not always been proud of the things I've done, or the messes I've gotten myself into. But you have always been there, no matter what situation I was in. Thank you for never making me feel stupid for coming to cry on your shoulder.

Thank you for all the nights you rubbed my shoulders, and brought me asparin, when I had those awful headaches and couldn't sleep.

Thank you for all of the visits we had in the car on our way to the chiropractor with Adell Griffin in the back seat.

Thank you for teaching me how to make cookies. Thank you for not laughing ( out loud ) when I wasted 5 eggs, trying to figure out how to separate the yoke from the egg.

Thank you for all the times you'd not only cook the big meal, but then get stuck cleaning it up too....

thank you for never ever complaining, despite all of the things you've had to cope with in your life.

thank you for all of the stocking stuffers you bought, and for the gifts signed "santa "
I'm 43, and I still wonder whether or not it is HIM or you!!

Thank you for bringing us to Ontario, in search of a new life.

Thank you for making us go to church, even when we didn't want to. Thank you for not giving up when being a parent was not easy.

Thank you for being consistent with us kids, and for being fair... thank you that none of us feels that you favoured another....

thank you for living Jesus in front of us, when words wouldn't have been enough....

Thank you for making home, HOME.

But most of all, thank you for loving me.

I love you Mom!!

4 Comments:

At May 14, 2006 10:04 a.m. , Blogger Wendy said...

I'm glad that you took the time to acknowledge your mom. I'm sure that she will appreciate that far more than any store bought card!

I read the whole thing...laughed a little and cried a little....but enjoyed the whole thing.

 
At May 15, 2006 12:42 p.m. , Blogger Joyce Marks said...

Your Mom deserves one more thanks. Thank you Mrs. Mackay for raising such a wonderful person and friend.

 
At May 15, 2006 4:25 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, beautifully put Paul! Your Mom should be proud! :0)

 
At May 23, 2006 9:57 p.m. , Blogger Catherine said...

Great tribute to your Mom! You're right...she's great!

Did you go to PBI? Sharon's examining in Three Hills so we're headed out there in a couple of weeks. They've got us booked at the 'Rest Easy Motel.' Yikes!!! Sounds a little scary. Guess we'll find out when we get there.

I'll say a big howdy-do to Prarie for ya!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home