Still rambling

Monday, March 06, 2006

Academy Awards


well, unlike Jamie, I DID watch the Academy Awards last night....

for two reasons : I sort of like John Stewart, and I wanted to see if he fared any better than David Letterman did when HE hosted.... Talk show Comediens don't traditionally do that well at hosting shows like that....

Second reason : I wanted to have something to talk about today at the water cooler.... which is ironic really..... the ONLY water cooler that I have frequented in the last 2 years, is the one my parents gave me.... it sits idle, in my town house in Brantford...... I often will go there, stand by the water cooler and chat with myself about the news of the day, and other current water cooler fodder... oh brother... Interestingly enough, in 3 years at Farmers Mutual, I've not ever used the water cooler.... in fact, I don't even know where it IS in the new building.....

my real second reason was to see if Charlize Theron won.... i'm kinda sweet on her... sigh... but....she didn't win, and she had the saddest look on her face as the camera panned away from her when whassername won for the Johnny Cash movie...... sigh!!

so.... here's my take on the whole Academy awards:

There were a FEW people there last night, not only people who won, but some who were interviewed going IN, who seemed very real and genuine.... and who deserve recognition....
yet others, seemed SO enamoured with themselves and their lovely outfits, that it was almost nauseating...... shame on them.....

Two that I thought stood out... were

Philip Seymour Hoffman ... he is a true gem, and a very gifted actor. He was nominated for Capote ( a film I've not seen , nor will I, likely ) .... he was one of the main actors in Scent of a Woman... had a key role in that movie.. i like him! He admitted to being pretty uncomfortable with his role in Capote... yet he did it.... I think I admire that!!

Another is David Strathairn... a truly modest actor - he was nominated for Good Night and Good Luck ...
He also was in Sneakers... was the blind guy.... he's really a good down to earth actor....

But most of the rest of the people they interviewed were sadly full of themselves to the point that I felt I should BOW ..... which i did.... except I was facing the other direction, away from the tv.... so it made it look like I was MOONING them... seemed appropriate at the time!! Keep in mind, it was just me and the water cooler, so it really wasn't all that effective!!

The best quote of the night, I think, was from Morgan Freeman, whom I quite admire. If you've never seen any of his stuff..... look for these :
Shawshank Redemption
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves
Driving Miss Daisy

I don't believe he wasn't nominated for anything this year, but he was one of the presenters..... Anyway, here's how he was quoted today:

"The danger is: buying into this 'best' idea. I realize it's to sell movies; otherwise I'd campaign to get it stopped. It would make more sense to give awards for five outstanding performances. At least you wouldn't get four actors walking away thinking they're failures."

pretty decent eh??

well.... thats a long ramble for a Monday

3 Comments:

At March 06, 2006 10:54 p.m. , Blogger jamie said...

yup a long ramble. but i read it. got a little nauseous at the part about you mooning the water cooler, but I got over it.

I do like Morgan Freeman. The rest of them I don't give a rats...oh nevermind.

I might have watched had I thought Wynonna Ryder would be on....

 
At March 07, 2006 1:32 p.m. , Blogger Joyce Marks said...

You can bet the first time Sara Evans hosts the award show, Jamie will be watching every second! lol

 
At March 09, 2006 1:33 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're sweet on Charlize? What about Linda who is so patiently waitnig for you?????????
JR

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home